Volunteers help JCPL in many ways. You might help shelve books and other library materials. You might prepare crafts for programs, greet patrons for Story Time, help with special events or deliver library materials to schools across Jefferson County. The opportunities for volunteering at JCPL are endless!
What Our Volunteers Do
- Help behind the scenes in Library operations: shelving, organizing and more
- Help prepare crafts for upcoming programs and events
- Greet patrons and keep track of attendance and stats for library programs
- Organize and stock our book sale rooms
- Perform crucial early childhood literacy outreach to preschools around Jefferson County
- And much more!
Requirements for Volunteering
Adult volunteers must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Consent to a criminal background check
- Take the commitment to volunteer seriously, and agree to abide by JCPL's code of conduct and volunteer policies
- Have the appropriate qualifications and be able to complete volunteer tasks independently (for example, shelving roles require a high degree of attention to detail and the ability to alphabetize)
Please note: Only JCPL staff members are allowed to perform Story Time at JCPL locations. We recruit a small number of volunteers (typically former teachers or librarians) each August to perform Story Time at select Jefferson County preschools for the following school year. If you are looking for a volunteer opportunity to read to children, please email our Volunteer Coordinator, and we can give you information about other local organizations that offer this type of opportunity.
Thank you for your willingness to lend a helping hand to JCPL!