Jefferson County Public Library (JCPL) is embarking on an ambitious plan to open a new Library destination in the southern region of the county to provide greater access to resources, information, and opportunities for every generation. We seek your input to help us build the best Library for the community of South County.
Ask a question about South County by emailing email@example.com.
Progress Is Being Made in Our Search for a South County Library Location!
After many months of groundwork-building with our Board of Trustees and Jefferson County partners, Jefferson County Open Space has announced that we are seeking public comment about building the new library on a site owned by them.
The site we are seeking is five to six acres of the land located at the corner of S. Kipling Parkway and W. Ken Caryl Avenue, at the 29.6-acre Sledding Hill Park. As the landowner, Open Space is evaluating this proposal and wants to hear from the community about this opportunity. The community engagement will begin with two virtual public meetings:
- August 30, 6 – 7:30 p.m.
- September 28, 6 – 7:30 p.m.
Find more information on how to join the virtual community meetings on Jeffco Open Space’s website.
The Value of Public Libraries
Learn more about the impact of public libraries in local communities from these sources:
- "Understanding the Social Wellbeing Impacts of the Nation's Libraries and Museums," Institute of Museum and Library Services, 2021, opens a new window
- "Public libraries continue to adapt, enriching communities across America," Gregory Gilpin, Brown Center Chalkboard at Brookings.edu, June 1, 2021, opens a new window
- "The State of America’s Libraries: Special Report: Pandemic Year Two," American Library Association, April 2022, opens a new window
- "The Post-pandemic Future of Libraries," Deborah Fallows, The Atlantic, May 12, 2020, opens a new window
- "How public libraries help build healthy communities," Marcela Cabello and Stuart M. Butler, Up Front at Brookings.edu, March 30, 2017, opens a new window
- "Libraries 2016," PEW Research Center, Sept. 9, 2016, opens a new window
- Jeffco Open Space News Release Proposed New South Jeffco Library Site (Aug. 16, 2022), opens a new window
- Recommendation for Site Selection Criteria, opens a new window
- Community Engagement Report, opens a new window
- Community Output Meeting Presentation, opens a new window
- Fact Sheet (EN), opens a new window
- Fact Sheet (SP), opens a new window