Note: The latest version of the OverDrive app is called “Libby.” The original version of the app is called “OverDrive.” The original version will be supported until February 2022, but if you are using OverDrive for the first time, we recommend choosing the new version, Libby.
Step-by-step instructions: (Print)
Install the OverDrive app and log in
- In the app store on your device, search for “OverDrive,” and follow the prompts to install it.
- Once installed, open the app and select the "Sign In with Library Card" option.
- Tap in the box that says "Find Your Library," type in "Jefferson County Public Library" and tap Go. From the list of options, select Jefferson County Public Library by tapping the name.
- Tap in the white space below Card Number, enter your library card number and tap Sign In.
Search or browse
- To explore JCPL’s OverDrive collection, tap in the grey box that says “+ Add a Title.”
- Next, tap on Search (🔍) and enter a title, author, or keyword and tap Search.
- Or, tap on Browse (☰) to the right side of the screen and select from several subjects, genres, or magazines.
- Tap on the cover of a title that says Available at the top, tap Borrow, and tap Borrow again.
- For e-books, tap on Download EPUB ebook. A message stating “adding title” will change to “title added” and then disappear once the download is complete.
- For magazines, tap on Read Now in Browser.
- You may check out 40 e-books at one time. Enjoy unlimited magazines.
- E-books check out for 21 days and may be renewed unless another patron has placed a hold. Items are automatically returned on their due date and there are no late fees.
- To access your downloaded e-books, tap on the Menu (☰) icon to the top left of the screen, then tap Bookshelf.
- Tap the cover of the book to open it and turn the pages by swiping left or right on the screen.
- For menu options such as table of contents and adjusting font size and type, tap at the bottom in the middle of your screen and a menu bar will appear at the top and bottom of the page.
- To close the book, tap on the bottom of your screen to access the menu options, tap on the Menu (☰) icon to the top right, and tap Bookshelf. Your page is automatically bookmarked.
- To access your borrowed magazines, tap in the grey box that says “+ Add a Title," then tap on the book spine icon () to see your Loans, then Read Now in Browser next to the magazine cover.
- After the magazine opens, tap anywhere on the page, then tap on the menu (☰) at the top right of the screen. If Offline Access is a choice there, or if there is a down arrow, select it to download the magazine for reading offline. (On a Kindle Fire, this works better in Chrome than in Silk.)
- It is not currently possible to print from magazines.
Place a hold
- Tap on the cover of a title that says Wait List at the top, tap Place a Hold, enter your email address if requested, then Place a Hold once more. Tap on the X to the top right, if needed, to continue searching for titles.
Check out a hold
- You’ll receive an email notice when your hold is ready to check out and you have three days to check it out. Once the title is ready for check out, close your email, open the OverDrive app, and tap on My Loans ().
- Tap Holds, tap on the title’s cover, tap Borrow, and tap Borrow again.
- Tap on Download EPUB eBook. A message stating “adding title” will change to “title added” and then disappear once title is downloaded.
- You may have 40 titles on hold at one time. Magazines are always available.
- You have three days to check out a hold once it becomes available for you. If you don’t borrow it within three days, your hold will automatically be suspended for 7 days as a one-time courtesy. If no action is taken a second time, the hold will be cancelled automatically. You can also suspend the hold by selecting "deliver later," or you can cancel your hold.
- Automatic alerts for new issues of magazines is not currently possible.
Early returns and renewing
Items are automatically returned on their due date and there are no late fees.
- To return a title early, tap in the grey box that says “+ Add a Title,” go to Loans () on the screen with JCPL’s logo.
- Tap Return under the title’s cover and then tap Return Title to confirm.
If a title does not have holds, you are able to renew within three days of its due date.
- To renew, tap in the grey box that says “+ Add a Title” and then tap on Loans () on the screen with JCPL’s logo.
- Under the book’s cover, tap on “Request Again” to renew. The title will appear on your Holds page and will automatically check out to you (unless you've turned off automatic hold checkout).
- Next, tap on Download EPUB ebook. A message stating “adding title” will change to “title added” and then disappear once the download is complete.