Comments from Jefferson County residents concerning JCPL’s collection are welcome. Many of the comments and questions that residents have regarding JCPL’s materials can be answered through conversations with library staff members. For those rare instances when a conversation will not suffice then residents can express their opinions or ask questions by submitting a comment in person, in writing or online. A resident of Jefferson County will receive a response to their comment or question. A formal process for request for reconsideration is another option. These requests are handled in an attentive and consistent manner. Any request for reconsideration of an item received by JCPL will result in said item being reevaluated and a formal written response sent to the Jefferson County resident.
- When a Jefferson County resident formally requests that an item be removed from the Jefferson County Public Library collection or reclassified they must fill out a Request for Reconsideration form. This form is available from any Patron Experience staff member at all library locations.
- The completed form is sent to the Collection Services Manager.
- The Collection Services Manager will evaluate the material to determine if the item meets the collection selection criteria stated in the Collection Development Policy.
- The Collection Services Manager will send a written response to the resident who initiated the review within 30 days regarding the disposition of the challenged item.
- The written response will inform the resident that they may contact the Director of Public Services if they are not satisfied with the outcome outlined in the letter from the Collection Services Manager.
- If the resident chooses to take their complaint to the Director of Public Services the item will undergo further evaluation by the Director of Public Services, the Collection Development Librarian responsible for that area of the collection, and the Interlibrary Loan and Collection Services Supervisor.
- A recommendation in writing will be submitted within 30 days to the Executive Director for final review before being sent to the patron.
- During the reconsideration process the item in question will not be removed from the collection.