Step-by-step instructions: (Printable version)
Install the Libby App and Log In
- In the app store on your device, search for “Libby,” and follow the prompts to download it. You will need your Apple ID or Google Play Store username and password.
- Once installed, open the app and follow prompts to find Jefferson County Public Library and enter your library card number.
Search or Browse
- Tap on the magnifying glass icon to search the collection, or tap on the building icon to browse featured titles and categories.
Check Out and Read
- When you find an available title, tap on Borrow near the cover and then tap Borrow again. Tap Open Book to begin reading in the Libby app, tap on Keep Browsing to continue searching for titles, or Go To Shelf to see the other options for reading.
- To adjust font size and type, tap on the screen and a menu bar will appear at the top and bottom of the page. Turn the pages by swiping left or right on the screen or tapping near the left or right.
- To close the book, tap on the screen to access the menu options and tap Back. Your place is automatically bookmarked.
- To access your borrowed titles, tap on the stacked books icon, then loans.
You may check out up to 40 e-books at a time, and borrow unlimited magazines.
Place a Hold, Check Out a Hold
- Tap Place a Hold near the cover, then tap Place Hold again. Tap Keep Browsing to continue searching for titles, Suspend Hold if you need to, or Go To Shelf.
- When you receive a notification that a hold is ready, tap on the stacked books icon, then holds.
- Libby will not send email notifications about holds by default. Tap on Menu then Settings, then Manage Notifications and follow prompts to select your notification preferences.
- When a hold is ready, you have 3 days to borrow it, delay it, or cancel it.
- To borrow it, click Borrow near the cover, and then Borrow again.
- To deliver the hold later, click Deliver Later and choose a new delivery date.
- To cancel the hold, select Manage Hold, then Cancel Hold.
- If you do nothing, your hold will be automatically scheduled for later delivery one time.
You may have 40 e-books on hold, and magazines are always available.
Early Returns and Renewing
- Your borrowed item will automatically return at the end of the 21-day loan period. If you wish to return an item early, tap on the stacked books icon, then loans, then tap Manage Loan near the cover. Tap Return Early, and then Return.
- If a title does not have holds, you can renew it within three days of its due date. To renew a title, tap on the the stacked books icon, then loans, then Manage Loan near the cover. Tap Renew Loan, then Renew.