Note: The latest version of the OverDrive app is called “Libby.” The original version of the app is called “OverDrive.” The original version will continue to be supported, but if you are using OverDrive for the first time, we recommend choosing the new version, Libby.
Step-by-step instructions: (Print)
Install the Libby app and log in
- In the app store on your device, search for “Libby,” and follow the prompts to download it. You will need your Apple ID or Google Play Store username and password.
- Once downloaded, open the app and follow prompts to register: Tap on Yes you have a library card, then tap on "I’ll Search for a Library." Type in "Jefferson County Public Library," and select it by tapping on the name in the list of options. Select Enter Library Account Details, and then enter your library card number and tap Sign In.
Search or browse
To explore JCPL’s Libby collection, scroll down to see featured titles and categories. To search, tap on the magnifying glass icon.
Check out and read
- Tap on Borrow next to a title’s cover and then tap Borrow again. The title will automatically download. You can select your notification options below the book cover. Tap on the back arrow to continue searching for titles or tap on the book spines icon or Shelf to begin reading.
- You may check out 40 e-books at one time. Enjoy unlimited magazine checkouts.
- Titles check out for 21 days and may be renewed unless another patron has placed a hold. Items are automatically returned on their due date and there are no late fees.
- To access your downloaded titles, tap on the book spines icon or Shelf, tap the cover of the book, and then tap Libby. Once open, turn the book’s pages by swiping left or right on the screen.
- For menu options such as table of contents and adjusting font size and type, tap at the top or bottom in the middle of your screen and a menu bar will appear at the top and bottom of the page.
- To close the book, tap on the bottom in the middle of your screen to access the menu options and tap Back. Your place is automatically bookmarked.
Place a hold
Placing a hold:
Tap Place a Hold next to a title’s cover, then tap on the back arrow to continue searching for titles.
Checking out a hold:
- You’ll receive an email notice when your hold is ready to check out. Once the title is ready for check out, open the Libby app and tap on the book spines icon or Shelf.
- Tap Holds, tap on Borrow next to the title’s cover, and tap Borrow again. The title will automatically download. Tap on Keep Browsing to continue searching for titles or tap Go To Shelf to begin reading.
- You may have 40 e-books on hold at one time. Magazines are always available.
- You have three days to check out a hold once it becomes available for you. If you don’t borrow it within three days, your hold will automatically be suspended as a one-time courtesy for 7 days. If no action is taken a second time, the hold will be cancelled automatically. You can also suspend the hold by selecting "deliver later," or you can cancel your hold.
- Automatic alerts for new issues of magazines is not currently possible.
Early returns and renewing
Items are automatically returned on their due date and there are no late fees.
- To return a title early, tap on the book spines icon or Shelf.
- Tap the cover of the book, tap Manage Loan, then Return Early, and then tap Return.
If a title does not have holds, you can renew it within three days of its due date.
- To renew a title, tap on the book spines icon or Shelf.
- Tap the cover of the book, tap Renew Loan, and then tap Renew.