Explore Summer Reading 2020: Imagine Your Story
We’re gearing up for Explore Summer Reading 2020 and are looking for 300 teen volunteers to assist with the program in June and July. Volunteers will work the Explore Summer Reading Help Desks in all 10 of our library locations.
- Assisting participants with online registration
- Awarding prizes
- Helping with various library events
- Assisting with other library tasks as needed
Eligibility and Application Process
To apply, teens should be entering 7th to 12th grades in the fall of 2020 (12 - 18 years old). Volunteers should be outgoing, assertive, well-organized and have a strong personal interest in volunteering in a library setting. Teens who apply will be scheduled for a short phone interview with a library staff member. Those who “ace” the interview will be provided an online link to sign up for one of the 19 volunteer training sessions that will be held at the libraries the last two weeks of May.
- Complete community service hours for school clubs
- Gain valuable work experience -- looks really good on a job application!
- A free T-shirt
- Make new friends over the summer
- An invitation to the “End of Summer Reading Party” in August
- The undying gratitude of library staff and patrons
- Applicants can choose their preferred libraries they’d like to volunteer. Some locations fill up fast, so apply sooner rather than later!
- Most volunteer shifts are approximately two hours in length, starting at 9:00 a.m. Mondays through Saturdays, and 12:00 p.m. on Sundays.
- Scheduling is very flexible. After teens have attended training, they are given the green light to sign up online for the volunteer shifts that work for their schedules. So, for example, if a family vacation or camp is planned sometime in June or July, you simply would not sign up for any volunteer shifts during that time.
Apply to be an Explore Summer Reading volunteer online or at your favorite JCPL location.
Questions? Contact the Volunteer Program Coordinator at email@example.com or 303-275-2212.