Jefferson County Public Library seeks to provide quality Library service to all users in a safe and pleasant environment that is conducive to educational and recreational study and research. Any behavior that is disruptive or that inhibits Jefferson County Library from ensuring a safe environment or interferes with the use of the library may elicit an appropriate response to deny access to facilities and/or services. Each person can help by respecting the rights of others and complying with the following while on library property.
Examples of unacceptable behaviors include (but are not limited to):
- Inappropriate Activities; running, shoving, throwing objects, physical or verbal harassment or threats, loud talking, sleeping, smoking, bathing, washing clothes, gambling,
- Misuse of Library Property; damaging, vandalizing or destroying Library property, equipment or materials, theft of library material, failure to follow JCPL’s Internet Access Policy
- Using another person’s library card or identifying information
- Using furniture in any manner for which it was not intended
- Leaving children or persons in need of continuous supervision unattended
- Bringing animals into the Library except for service animals, or animals used in Library programs and/or presentations
- Possessing or consuming alcohol or marijuana, illegal drugs or being under their influence
- Performing any illegal act or conduct in violation of federal, state or local law, ordinance, or regulation
- Disturbing other patrons or employees of the Library so far as to disrupt their use of the Library or their work
- Inappropriate attire or poor hygiene
- Soliciting money, donations, or selling items
- Staff may restrict adult use of children’s areas
- Photographing other users of the Library without written permission
Any violation of the code of conduct may result in suspension of library privileges and access to facilities and/or services. The Director of Public Services may temporarily ban a patron denying access to all facilities and/or services within the Jefferson County Public Library. A patron with suspended privileges may appeal a suspension in writing to the Executive Director. The Executive Director or designee will respond to the appeal. The decision of the Executive Director is final.