(Lakewood, CO – Nov. 18, 2013) Jefferson County Library Foundation would like to give the gift of reading to every child in Jefferson County. And they need help!
· More than half of the kindergartners in some Jeffco schools start without the skills they need to be ready to read.
· More than a third of the children in Jefferson County live in poverty, and many of these children don’t have books and are not read to at home.
· Only a fraction of these children are served by Head Start or other quality pre-school programs. That leaves thousands of children at risk of falling behind.
· Roughly 1 in 1,000 children are born with severe to profound hearing loss, and these children risk experiencing delays in language, speech development and reading skills.
Jefferson County Public Library is uniquely positioned to help Jeffco’s youngest residents, from birth to five, gain the skills they need to be good readers. This year, the library foundation is raising money to give the gift of reading to every child in Jefferson County through support of the following Library programs:
- Baby and Toddler Storytimes. The library holds thousands of these every year, providing early reading experiences to more than 50,000 participants.
- Traveling Children’s Library. This programdelivers early educational outreach, bilingual storytimes (and books) to more than 1,500 at-risk children attending Head Start and other preschool programs.
- Start with a Story. This volunteer program is being designed to deliver early literacy storytimes to licensed day-care centers serving at-risk children.
- American Sign Language Storytimes. These special storytimes give hearing impaired children the opportunity to interact with others, acquire important pre-reading skills, develop their cognitive abilities, and communicate more fully with the world around them.
These programs help thousands of children learn important literacy skills and establish a strong foundation for success in life. To make a donation, visit jeffcolibrary.org/donate, or mail your contribution to The Jefferson County Library Foundation, 10790 W. 50th Ave., Suite 200, Wheat Ridge, CO 80033.
About the Jefferson County Library Foundation and Friends
The Jefferson County Library Foundation and Friends work to support and enrich the capabilities, resources and services of Jefferson County Public Library through fundraising and advocacy efforts that benefit the community. The Friends of Jefferson County Public Library is a county-wide organization dedicated to enhancing the programs and resources of our libraries. For more information, visit jeffcolibraryfoundation.org .
About Jefferson County Public Library
Jefferson County Public Library (JCPL) is the third largest public library in the state of Colorado. Our mission is to meet the changing needs of our communities by providing information and environments that promote personal growth and community transformation. A JCPL library card is the smartest card in your wallet, giving you access to an online library that operates 24 hours per day, seven days per week, a network of 10 libraries, a Bookmobile, a Traveling Children’s Library and offsite computer and Internet classes provided throughout the County, as well as books, periodicals, CDs and DVDs, audio and eBooks, and computer and Internet resources. For more information contact your local library or visit jeffcolibrary.org .