The Jefferson County Public Library balances the right to open and free access to all library materials with a parent or guardian’s right to request restricted borrowing privileges.
- While the Jefferson County Public Library adheres to the policy of open and free access to all Library materials for all patrons, a parent or guardian may request restricted use of a library card for a child. This only applies to print and audio-visual materials, since a separate Library policy is directed at Internet Access.
- Children’s cards may be restricted in three ways.
- A child’s library card may be restricted to materials with an E or J shelf code; this restricts usage of the card to materials available in the Children’s areas.
- A child’s library card may be restricted from checking out Feature Films.
- A child’s library may be restricted to allow less than 99 items checked out
- When a parent or guardian requests limited access to materials for a child, they in effect are requesting a major exception to normal JCPL operating procedures.
- A request to restrict the use of a library card for a child must be made in writing to the Executive Director. The Executive Director will review the request and respond directly to the patron making the request.