To enrich the informational, educational, and recreational quality of life for Jefferson County citizens, the Library will provide its users a broad and diverse collection of resources and materials to support its mission. In addition, the Library will allow the use of certain electronic resources, and circulate designated parts of its collections to its users for the continued use of these materials outside of the library.
Materials in the circulating collection are available to anyone possessing a current Jefferson County Public Library card. A Jefferson County Public Library card allows the holder to check out materials that circulate, access the Online Library to use our electronic resources and databases, access their personal circulation account, and use the self-service products. The Jefferson County Public Library also participates in the Colorado Library Card program which allows any Colorado resident borrowing privileges at libraries outside of their home library service area provided they physically visit that library and obtain a library card.
Use of the library and borrowing of library materials is a confidential matter, and identification of the materials currently showing on a patron’s record will not be shared with others, except as required by law, or parental signature.
Records of materials previously borrowed and returned are not maintained unless a patron specifically selects an optional reading history service. Additionally, circulation records for an individual item retain the name of the most recent borrower until the item is checked out again at which time the previous borrower’s information is automatically deleted by the system. This information is retained in the event damage is discovered after an item is checked in. The information is not part of the borrower’s record.
JCPL offers the use and borrowing of its materials and resources to all holders regardless of age. The library defers supervision and responsibility for a child’s use of the library and selection of library materials to the parent or guardian. In addition, the library will not censor, restrict or cast judgment on the materials borrowed or used.
The Library holds the authority to set loan periods for the use and circulation of library materials and in setting fines and charges for damaged or lost items.
- Jefferson County Public Library will extend borrowing privileges to all residents of the State of Colorado. However, the primary scope of the collection is to meet and support the interests and research needs of Jefferson County citizens.
- JCPL offers the use and borrowing of its materials and resources to all JCPL library cardholders regardless of age.
- The use of electronic and database resources is for the individual card holder. Schools or other institutions may not use a group card, all individuals accessing electronic and database resources must have their own library card.
- Jefferson County Public Library will maintain the confidentiality of its users and their library accounts in accord with Colorado State Law, except as required by state law, written request of the cardholder, or library rules.
- The Library defers supervision and responsibility for a child’s use of the library and selection of library materials to the parent or guardian.
- The library will not censor, restrict or cast judgment on the materials borrowed or used.