Media Advisory/Photo Opportunity
Jefferson County babies, toddlers and preschoolers
Colorado kids are celebrating their reading milestones at parties held in Jefferson County Public Libraries throughout August. Whether they’ve finished reading 1000 Books or are about to begin, kids ages 0-5 are appreciating books and having fun! A few avid readers have already logged more than 2,000 books since joining the reading program, 1000 Books Before Kindergarten.
Photo Opps, When & Where:
- ARVADA, 7525 W. 57th Ave., Monday, Aug. 5, 9 A.M. ‒ 12 P.M.
- BELMAR, 555 S. Allison Parkway, Wednesday, Aug. 7, 9 A.M. ‒ 12 P.M.
- CONIFER, 10441 Highway 73, Saturday, Aug. 10, 9 A.M. ‒ 12 P.M.
- COLUMBINE, 7706 W Bowles Ave., Thursday, Aug. 15, 9 A.M. ‒ 12 P.M.
- EDGEWATER, 1800 Harlan, Thursday, Aug. 8, 9 A.M. ‒ 12 P.M.
- EVERGREEN, 5000 County Rd. 73, Monday, Aug. 5, 9 A.M. ‒ 12 P.M.
- GOLDEN, 1019 10th St., Tuesday, Aug. 6, 9 A.M. ‒ 12 P.M.
- LAKEWOOD, 10200 W 20th Ave., Monday, Aug. 12, 9 A.M. ‒ 12 P.M.
- STANDLEY LAKE, 8485 Kipling St., Wednesday, Aug. 14, 9 A.M. ‒ 12 P.M.
- WHEAT RIDGE, 5475 W 32nd Ave., Monday, Aug. 5, 10 A.M. ‒ 12 P.M.
By promoting reading to newborns, infants, and toddlers and their parents/caregivers, we nurture a habit of reading.
Many studies estimate that as many as one in five children have difficulties learning to read. Reading is an early indicator of academic success, yet public formal education does not typically start until ages 5-6. Before then, parents and caregivers are their child’s first and best teacher during the birth to five critical years. The 1000 Books Before Kindergarten challenge is a simple (read a book, any book to your child, with the goal of reading 1,000 before kindergarten) and very manageable endeavor.
Interview Opportunities: We’ll connect you with some of our top readers and their parents to share their experiences about how the program is creating a habit of reading for their babies – all before they even start school!
- Belmar patron - 2.5 year old = 3,650 books
- Arvada patron – 2.5 year old = 2,739
- Arvada patron – 3.5 year old = 2,307
- 5,611 Jeffco kids ages 0 -5 have are participating in the program.
- 268 have finished by reaching the 1000 book milestone.
- 141 kids have read more than 1000 books…and are still going!
- 1,674,692 minutes have been read by participating kids.
- A 2.5 year old Belmar patron has already read and logged 3,650 books…and is still going.