Jefferson County Public Library’s (JCPL) mission to read had residents reading over 42 million minutes this summer. Nearly 45,000 residents participated in this year’s reading challenge and read a collective 42,398,725 minutes. 53% of registered participants finished the program by reading the recommended eight or 16 hours (depending on age).
The Library’s Summer Reading program also included special school incentives, thanks to contributions from the Library Board of Trustees and the Jefferson County Library Foundation. Participating Jeffco schools competed for five $800 prizes to support their school library or a literacy program in their school.
Five schools – one in each pre-defined category – won a trophy and $800 prize for having the highest percentage of program finishers, compared to their enrollments.
The winners are:
- Adams Elementary Preschool;
- Glennon Heights Elementary School;
- Bell Middle School;
- Arvada High School; and
- Addenbrooke Classical Academy – special/option charter.
Bell Middle School and Addenbrooke Classical Academy are three-time winners in their respective categories. Bell Middle School is a three-time champion, having won in 2017, 2018 and now 2019. Addenbrooke Classical Academy claimed the top prize in 2016, 2018, and 2019. Full school list.
JCPL also awarded ten adult finisher prizes to randomly selected participants. Congratulations to these winners:
- Amber, Belmar Library Patron
- Moria, Arvada Library Patron
- Mayda, Columbine Library Patron
- Becky, Lakewood Library Patron
- Cheri, Belmar Library Patron
- Lesley, Evergreen Library Patron
- Andy, Standley Lake Patron
- Frank, Library to You/Bookmobile Patron
- Maxine, Library to You/Bookmobile Patron
- Jenny, Belmar Library Patron
Note: Winners are being notified by email.
Summer Reading 2019 fun facts:
- 3,169 babies “read” 2,090,720 minutes
- 19,880 children read 11,421,117 minutes
- 7,925 teens read 7,236,067 minutes
- 13,701 adults read 21,650,821 minutes
Special thanks to the following 2019 Summer Reading partners and sponsors: Jefferson County Library Foundation, FirstBank, Edward Madigan Foundation, Lakeside Amusement Park, Elitch Gardens Theme and Water Park, Comcast, The Melvin & Elaine Wolf Foundation, Kinder Morgan Foundation, Genesee Mountain Foundation, First Bank, and The Kerr Foundation.