Be (and get!) inspired! Jefferson County Public Library (JCPL) invites middle school students to participate in a FREE Epic STEM Fair.
- Industry mentors help students explore the scientific process while creating solutions to real-world problems.
- Mentors will meet with participants at registered Jeffco Public Schools or at the Lakewood Library.
- Students gain confidence in their STEM-abilities.
We make it easy to participate!
- Students are paired with mentors who come to your school when it’s convenient for you (during class, after school, or at a library) to help identify, create, and refine projects.
- It's great project-based learning.
- It aligns with Jefferson County Public School’s curriculum.
- Librarians help you discover and explore authentic scientific texts that align with projects (and that support Next Generations Science Standards).
- Students can participate individually or in teams of up to three people.
Open to all Jefferson County middle school students, grades 6-8.
Epic STEM Fair
Friday, December 13, 9 -12:30 PM
Jefferson County Fairgrounds
15200 West 6th Ave. Frontage Road, Golden, 80401
Teams display projects and get critical feedback from a qualified judge. While judges are reviewing the entries, students engage in hands-on STEM activities.
Schools - $500
Seven schools will win $500 for STEM classrooms or after school clubs. If a homeschool student/team wins, the prize will be awarded to an approved homeschool association.
Seven student teams will win a trophy and paid admission to a statewide or regional STEM competition or fair.
Everyone receives an Epic STEM medal.
October 1: Registration opens
October 21: Registration closes
November - early December: Students work on projects with mentor.
December 13: Epic STEM Fair
Student teams should choose a project from one of these seven categories:
- Better Bots! Design a machine or robot to solve a real-world problem.
- Clean up your mess! Human impact on local ecosystems can be negative. Identify a local impact and offer a solution.
- Selfie! Develop a self-contained ecosystem to provide food for a future colony on Mars and demonstrate photosynthesis in action.
- Up a creek without a paddle. Design a method to efficiently move two pounds of weight across water within a structure no larger than 8.5X11.
- Is it hot or is it just me? Design a system that either amplifies or decreases the greenhouse effect.
- Citizen Science. Participate in a citizen science project creating a presentation based on your observations and findings.
- Less is more. Reduce, reuse, recycle – find an innovative solution for waste.
If you're interested in this awesome experience, give us your name and contact information, opens a new window and we'll be sure to keep you informed of what you need to know, when you need to know it.