When setting up this interview, I asked what breed of dog I was going to meet. The librarian in Golden said, “She’s a gorgeous Bernese Mountain Dog who loves reading, romantic candlelight dinners and long walks on the beach.” I knew I was in for a treat… and was not disappointed.
Mattie is a big, beautiful, loving partner in our PAWS for Reading program. She greets with enthusiasm and knows how to make friends right away. She’s also very intuitive. If her reader is a bit nervous and stand-offish, Mattie will lie quietly; but, if the kiddo is enthusiastic and wants to play, Mattie is happy to oblige with hugs and nuzzling.
It was just by happenstance that Jaelyn stopped by the library and had the chance to read to Mattie. Jaelyn is heading into 6th grade and will surely have a terrific “what I did on my summer vacation” story about her session with Mattie.
Mattie’s mom/handler, Kelley has raised Mattie since puppyhood and watched as Mattie made her way through puppy kindergarten, Good Citizen training and the Therapy Dog program. Mattie’s been participating in our PAWS for Reading program for a year. Before that, when the family lived in California, Mattie and Kelley visited a local elementary school and read with kids each week. In other words, she’s a trained professional!
Get to know Mattie:
• Birthday: October, 2011
• Lives in: Golden
• Favorite toy: This dog LOVES her stuffies. At last count, Mattie had over 11 toys. She carries them everywhere, snuggles with them and sleeps with them. If she had to pick a favorite, it’d be the big cheetah.
• Favorite food: Treats, treats and more treats. But these days, Mattie is snacking on cucumber and watermelon since she’s watching her girly figure.
• Favorite books: The “Biscuit” series.
• Favorite movie: “The Kid” starring Bruce Willis
• Biggest challenge: Keeping up with fashion. Her PAWS mate, Shelby shows up with the cutest accessories, so Mattie makes sure to wear a stylish bow or something similar.
If you know someone who’d like to read with Mattie or any of our other wonderful pups provided through our partnership with Animals 4 Therapy program, register for your 15-minute session by calling 303-235-5275 or asking our staff for details. Be forewarned, you will fall in love.