(Lakewood, CO – March 10, 2014) Jefferson County Library Foundation (JCLF) announced today that it will donate $170,000 in 2014 to support Library programs.
“We are thrilled to receive such a generous contribution from the Library Foundation,” said Pam Nissler, executive director, JCPL. “Their contributions enable us to provide critical programming in support of early literacy, equal access to technology and community engagement.”
“We’re happy to support these important programs,” said Natalie Martinez, executive director, JCLF. “We’re able to do this through the tireless efforts of more than 700 Friends of the Library, a dedicated Foundation Board and the generous support of Jefferson County residents.”
Key areas of Foundation support include:
• Summer Reading Club: This annual program encourages kids and teens to keep up their reading skills over the summer, so that they are ready to re-engage when they return to school in the fall. It offers fun for all ages with interesting books, engaging programs and incentives, including a free book for every child who finishes the program. Last year more than 25,000 Jefferson County residents participated in JCPL’s Summer Reading Club.
• Traveling Children’s Library: JCPL’s Traveling Children's Library (TCL) enhances the early literacy experiences and skills of pre-school aged children by delivering books and programs in both English and Spanish to Head Start and early learning classrooms throughout Jefferson County. In 2013, TCL visited 83 pre-school classes and helped approximately 1,200 pre-school children a month acquire critical skills they need to be ready to read.
• Early Literacy Playscapes and Programming: This year, the Foundation will help JCPL begin to create playscapes (active learning environments in Library Children’s areas) through the provision of interactive toys, activities and technology. In addition, the Foundation will support key programs to promote early literacy with partners, patrons and residents.
• Access to Technology: Foundation donations will enable the Library to:
o expand the availability of core children’s materials in digital formats;
o purchase additional Early Literacy Stations™ (i.e., computers that are preloaded with educational software covering reading, math, science, social studies, writing, arts and music, and reference) for Children’s areas;
o purchase more computers and/or laptops for teen areas;
o purchase mini iPads to use with the Library’s eTrain mobile computer training lab; and
o increase the number of computer tablets available for checkout at all Library locations.
• Support for Community Engagement: JCFL will support the Library’s Culture Pass program, which offers free passes to local cultural attractions; Jeffco Stories, a program designed to capture and archive oral histories from Jefferson County residents; and Book Club Kits to promote a culture of reading in our community.
Contributions to the Library from the Foundation are made possible through profits from a robust schedule of used book sales sponsored by Friends of JCPL, Foundation fund raising events, and grants, corporate contributions, and personal donations. To donate to the Foundation, visit jeffcolibrary.org/donate, or mail your contribution to The Jefferson County Library Foundation, 10790 W. 50th Ave., Suite 200, Wheat Ridge, CO 80033.
About Jefferson County Library Foundation
The Jefferson County Library Foundation's mission is to support and enrich the capabilities, resources and services of the Jefferson County Public Library through fundraising and advocacy efforts that benefit our diverse community. For more information, visit jeffcolibraryfoundation.org .
About Friends of Jefferson County Public Library
Friends of Jefferson County Public Library is a county-wide group dedicated to enhancing the resources of Jefferson County Public Library (JCPL). We are people who cherish our Library, and we believe that JCPL is a valuable, essential and fundamental part of the community. Friends lend our voices, time and resources to ensure quality library services in Jefferson County. For more information, visit jeffcolibraryfoundation.org/friends-are .
About Jefferson County Public Library
Jefferson County Public Library (JCPL) is the third largest public library in the state of Colorado. Our mission is to meet the changing needs of our communities by providing information and environments that promote personal growth and community transformation. A JCPL library card is the smartest card in your wallet, giving you access to an online library that operates 24 hours per day, seven days per week, a network of 10 libraries, a Bookmobile, a Traveling Children’s Library and offsite computer and Internet classes provided throughout the County, as well as books, periodicals, CDs and DVDs, audio and eBooks, and computer and Internet resources. For more information contact your local library or visit jeffcolibrary.org .